Monday, January 09, 2006

"Hi, I'm with the newspaper..."

People in Brunswick, no matter what the subject, don’t like seeing their name’s in the paper.

Maybe it’s some kind of throw back to the good old days, when a boss or county commissioner would burn your house down if you aired an opinion that ran contrary to what the local authorities wanted your opinion to be. Or maybe people think that the press, no matter what question they come along asking, are assholes.

For a while, I was doing health stories for the paper. Not the best the stores ever, but at the same time fun. While other people in the office were asking about the details of last night city council meeting, I got to ask questions about vaginal health, proper testicle size and dripping penis’. It was fun to talk about those things openly around mixed company.

Anyway, I got asked once by my editor why I used the same batch of doctors for most of my stories. I had a stable of about ten that were my go to bitches. I had tried to get more doctors than that, but so many don’t want their names in the newspaper. Not because they’re afraid of being misquoted, but they don’t want people to think ill of them.

Real estate agents in the Golden Isles are the same way. There’s a caste system among them, and they are all very aware of it. The agents that have been in the game for years are constantly giving the younger agents and even the paper shit for using agents who haven’t paid their dues yet. It makes for getting variety in the real estate section difficult at best.

All we’re missing here in Glynn County is a crooked sheriff and a little guy in a white suit that runs everything and we’ve got Hazzard County. Besides, there are already no less than three 1969 Dodge Chargers painted like the General Lee running around town.

No comments: