Friday, January 06, 2006

Where is mom when I need her?

Being sick as an adult isn't as fun as it was when I was a kid.

Yes, I used the word "fun" to describe "sick". At the time, fifth grade Chris didn't think being out sick was too fun. Quite the contrary. He hated it. I had pneumonia and was out of school for two weeks. I was holed up on the couch, stuck watching Bob Barker walk people through fun little pricing games, having no worries other than trying to get myself better with each passing day...

And I miss that. I just missed almost a week of work due to illness and it was stressful as Hell. I'm sitting there hacking my lungs up and trying to keep the snot constantly pouring from my nose from getting into my mouth all while wondering if I'm gonna get shit for taking too much time off for being sick. Sure, Bob Barker kept me company, as did the Duke boys, but always in the back of my mind was that fear of getting shit. I rushed back to work a little too early as a result, and here I am with some funk that won't shake itself off me.

Add to that the fear that I'm draining the account too much by paying for all the meds I needed. i never had to worry about that back in the day. i got sick, mom went to the store and brought home some medicine. Anyone with just a little independence knows that a walk down the medicine isle at Walgreens is a gut check in how much being sick really blows.

So, yeah, i kind of want to go back to that no-strings-attached sick that i used to enjoy.

No comments: