Friday, October 07, 2005

Well damn: Part II

Well, we just got back from lunch and the city is crazy looking. Nothing too bad but there's A LOT of water, and a good many roads are closed (they ran out of "Road Closed" signs). Schools were let out and most people are being smart and staying off the roads...

But not me and my minions. I gathered a small group who were planning on eating food that was going to be brought into the office. I told them that their lunch plans had changed, that we were going to hit the road and see what had become of Brunswick.

That, and I wanted Arby’s for lunch and didn’t want to risk my car in the deep waters covering Glynn County’s roads.

Things looks odd on the way to Arby’s. Parking lots were filled like small lakes, with sitting in water up past the doors. Strange things floated among the water. Beer boxes, plastic bags, and even plastic lawn furniture were gingerly making their way down these new water ways.

Arby’s was in rough shape, I might add. Seems that a lot of the water gathering in the parking lot had made it’s way into the restaurant. When we got there, it had receded, but the carpets sloshed as we stepped onto it and there was a smell wet dog, not the odor of choice for an eatery.

The sun has come out, though there are conflicting reports as to how long it’s t last. Glynn County EMA says it’s hear to stay, that the worst is over. But the National Weather Service says that we got this morning was just one wave in what is to be a long succession of them.

I’ll be glad when it’s over, but part of me wants a little bit more. The building here at working isn’t faring well at all. The leaks are worse than they were this morning and there are now no more working bathrooms. If it all comes crashing down, I may just get a day off.

3 comments:

D said...

I say come prepared for work: dress up or just bring in an ark or raft. Then make your co-workers have a competition to see who comes on the raft with you. Or proclaim your desk to be the last civilized outpost in a flood-apocolype world.

D

The Icon said...

Dude, I don't want anyone coming on my raft. That's just nasty.

D said...

eww.